RE: Heterogeneous Replication

  • From: "Duret, Kathy" <kduret@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 10:53:52 -0600

Watch / How you are using it.

We are using Heterogeneous services with a driver from data direct to access
some data in our sql server and oracle in 3 different oracle views.
$2,000/cpu so this is not cheap

Personally, I am not happy doing this... I wanted the deveopers to have the
app  open a separate ODBC connection and get the data

So when sql server goes down, we need to restart the app anyway.  Once the
application is up again, if someone accesses the view via an old connection
to the Oracle database, we get ora-28500 errors, some solaris page swapping
and the database load goes up for a bit.

If Sql Server hangs and someone accesses the Oracle/Sql Server view - guess
what?  Yep

Plus as an added bonus we got a new error last week  [LEMRIST()+384]
[SIGSEGV] [ADDRESS NOT MAPPED TO OBJECT] [12] ORA-07445
not sure what happened with sql server this time (I think it hung), Oracle
datatbase when to a crawl, the machine was swapping and we pegged memory for
acouple of minutes.  I logged a tar with Oracle and all they could suggest
was to increase our swap space.  This seemed unrealistic since we already
have
2G of swap space and normally don't even use 1/4 of this space on a very
busy day.

Let me know what you find out from Golden Gate and if there connection works
better.

Good Luck,

Kathy
long time listener, many time caller, first time responder.......