Re: Help with Windows error

  • From: "Paul Drake" <bdbafh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Joe.Sweetser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 15:57:34 -0400

On 6/27/06, Sweetser, Joe <Joe.Sweetser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Oracle 8.1.7.4.1 Windows 2000 SP4

Intermittent error that (so far) is only resolved with a server reboot.
Error manifests itself many ways but the most obvious are inability to
connect to the database and/or inability to log into the server itself.
If you do get logged in to the server...inability to start an
application; be it cmd or sqlplus.  The error at that point is "Failed
to initialize application".  No errors in alert.log and database comes
up fine after reboot.

The only error I've found is in the listener.log and I can't figure what
the underlying Windows error truly means.  I have googled and metalink'd
to no avail.

26-JUN-2006 10:23:18 * <snip> * establish * limsprod * 12500
TNS-12500: TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process
TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
  TNS-00530: Protocol adapter error
   32-bit Windows Error: 31: Too many links

Can anyone shed some light on what "Too many links" means?  Open files?
Network connections?  Sockets?

Thanks in advance,
-joe
--

Joe,

Are you accessing remote databases via db_links?

Paul