Help Setting up Pro*Cobol on Linux

  • From: Chris Hoover <revoohc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 13:25:31 -0400

Hello,

I need some help getting the Pro*Cobol pre-compiler setup and properly
running on Linux.  I am investigating porting our PostgreSQL DB to
Oracle, and need to be able to compile the Cobol application to run
against Oracle.  I have installed the linux client and had it install
the programmer package, so I have Pro*Cobol installed on our test box.

I have looked for documentation, but there does not seem to be any
unix/linux specific documentation out there.  Our Cobol vendor has
stated that we must precompile on linux since our application is
hosted on linux servers.  Is this true?  It would seem that the Oracle
precompiler should not care what platform you are precompiling on.

Anyway, I'm a DBA and not a Cobol programmer, so I am in strange
waters.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris