Re: Heads Up on Grid Control 10.2

  • From: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 12:28:27 -0700

On 9/29/06, Matthew Zito <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

See, we're seeing a move away from shared Oracle homes.  In fact, the
last 5-10 large organizations we were talking to deployed one
ORACLE_HOME for every instance on the box (and most of them deployed a
separate ORACLE_HOME for their listener as well).  Even in RAC
environments, people want the lack of SPOF by having independent O_H.
Given that we do provisioning and patch automation, it makes sense that
those environments are better for us.  Since you do a clustered
filesystem, shared OHOME is better for you.

The largest multi homed server here has 8 databases currently, each with
their own OH.  Way too much trouble otherwise.

In fact, there are 10 OH on that box - one is Oracle Names only, the other
is for the listener and DBA utility stuff.

-- Jared Still Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist