RE: Heads Up on Grid Control 10.2

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 11:33:41 -0700

Thanks for the info Jared.  I had been wondering about the GC licensing
and wasn't aware that it was included with the database license - I
thought it had to be purchased separately.  Regarding the management
packs - on my recent (and first) 10g implementation, I opted for the
Diagnostics Pack only - no Tuning Pack, even though the sales guy and
his DBA buddy acted like I was crazy for wanting one w/o the other
because "everybody buys them together".  Personally, I saw a lot more
value in the Diag pack than the Tuning pack because most of the SQL
issues I encounter seem to be too complex for the Tuning wizard, and we
don't do a lot of development - mostly just COTS apps.

I haven't used GC yet - only the DB console, and I was a little put off
by the new inteface at first, but it is pretty nice and powerful once
you find your way around.  My biggest gripe now is the stability - I
have to restart the dbconsole server processes about once per week.  I'd
imagine the GC interface is almost exactly the same as the DB console,
right?  Do people typically have the same stability issues with GC?