RE: Have you considered PostgreSQL? (This is not a troll)

  • From: "Walker, Jed S" <Jed_Walker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "jd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 14:44:40 +0000

We used PostgreSQL for a project we had and it was very successful. It doesn't
have all the fancy features of Oracle, but in some ways that was nice because
it made for some extra challenges, and significantly less bugs. It does have
some nice features, like a lack of mutating triggers (that was nice). It was a
very solid database, but more on the lines of Oracle 8i functionality, though
there is nothing wrong with that. Very stable, very very easy to install and
upgrade. I would absolutely use it again.

We did not use PostgreSQL and Oracle together.

We migrated from PostgreSQL to Oracle because we didn't have the resources to
manage one project on something other than Oracle. I regret doing that now, but
at the time it was the right decision for the business as I was the only person
that knew it. We actually had an outage two days before my vacation (hunting
trip with no access to any communication). I was able to resolve it quickly,
but if I hadn't been there it might have been a day outage while someone
learned or contacted support. The issue was a simple clean up type activity
that I wasn't yet aware of as a PostgreSQL admin, not a fault in the rdbms.

So, if I had a chance to use PostgreSQL again I would definitely consider it.
Do think about what you're doing though, if I needed a huge data warehouse I
think I'd probably opt for Oracle.

I hope that helps,

Jed

Oh, we do have a 3rd party product running on PostgreSQL, but being 3rd party
and lite use there isn't really any admin work needed.