RE: Hardware Architecture.. please advise

  • From: "WEBBER, VALERIE" <Vwebber@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Oracle-L (E-mail)" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 09:13:44 -0600

So with the hardware partitioning, I could partition the apps "server" into
production and test and the same for the database "server". I like that idea
just to make sure hw and db patches work correctly on the "production"
server. I'll have the same for another server for QA testing and
development.

So there aren't any drawbacks to having the apps server and the database
running on the same box? Is this in line with the new grid computing? I'll
start out with Oracle9i for the database and 10g on the Apps server. I just
want to make sure before I tell them to do it.

Thanks for the help!!
Val

Subject: Re: Hardware Architecture.. please advise
From: Jared.Still@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 10:15:33 -0800

There is much to be said for that.
When upgrading our SAP HW last year, we made a case for a test
system that mirrors our production system.

2 Quad CPU Dell 6450s with Veritas Cluster System and SAP
mirror our production system.

This is where we try patches, upgrades to ancillary software,
patch things, etc.

It's where I purposely crashed Oracle/SAP last week testing
a newly published vulnerabilty.

You can't do those types of tests on your development or
QA systems.   So if you can get a real test system with your
new HW, go for it.

Jared

Valerie H. Webber
 Valspar Corporation