HTML MOS

  • From: <Joel.Patterson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 13:33:57 -0500

Here is a comment I came across, so I thought I'd pass it on the forum.

Laura says:

Now that a few days have passed, I've had better luck using the HTML
version.  I've also run both the Flash and HTML versions simultaneously;
no conflicts so far.  I'm using IE 6.0.2900.2180 (XP SP2) with Flash.

The HTML Search initially returned no documents, or very few, compared
with the same search in Flash.  This morning, I understood why.  The
Knowledge Filter (next to the Search box) was not set to Oracle
Products.  I changed it, then chose the Advanced Search option and
entered the desired key words.  HTLM search then returned the same
documents as the same Flash search.

HTML supports right clicking on any results link and opening in a new
window.  Unlike Flash, the new window is a complete page, with its own
search box - just like MetaLink.  So I can opt to use it to search for
other things, without having to go back to the first search screen, and
without losing my first search results.  Seems like a small thing, but I
am thrilled to have it back.

For downloading patches, HTML supports the steps for wget; properties
returns the full URL for the desired patch.  Flash does not show
properties on the download link.  Again, it may seem like a small thing,
but if you download many patches or large patches, you can script your
selections and place them directly on your UNIX host.  No need to sftp
from Windoze to UNIX.

Last, HTML is blissfully less busy than Flash.  The many, many frames
are reduced to just a few, without the irritating fade and slide
effects.  Logging an SR is easier, without the constant focus/lose focus
of frames in the Flash version.

I'm just hoping they don't mess with this one.