Re: HSPD12 boost DBA salary?

  • From: Dba DBA <oracledbaquestions@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 07:23:53 -0400

Low level clearance do not increase income. It just reduces competition
since less people compete for the job. With contracting your pay is based on
your billable rate. That is determined by the government and your cut of
that is determined by how much profit the contracting company requires and
if the contracting sub-contracts it down a level or 2 (so multiple companies
skim off the same rate so you get less).

Top Secret jobs don't really pay more anymore since it is the same class of
rate. However, with a higher clearance it is easier to quit if you don't
like your job or if something new comes up that you think is more
interesting.

When the economy is good, the private sector will pay the best for high end
talent.(this is not universal, but government rates cannot compete with high
end private sector rates). Government rates are fixed and are not flexible
for the economy. So in a bad economy you will see pay going down, but what
is paid to contract companies often remains the same. Basically they make
bigger profits. This is mitigated with security clearance since less people
are eligible.

Anything that does not require atleast an interview is not really much of a
clearance. Private sector companies now do comparable background checks to
low level clearances. I have had more thorough background checks done in the
private sector than I have had on my current government contract.