HAIP on RAC

  • From: Saad Khan <saad4u@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 10:22:27 -0400

We've oracle 11.2.0.3 RAC on two nodes with aix 6.1

I was applying some patch on node 1 two weeks back and restarted grid. The
following command failed

rootcrs.pl -patch

/u01/app/grid/perl/bin/perl /u01/app/grid/crs/install/rootcrs.pl -patch
Using configuration parameter file:
/u01/app/grid/crs/install/crsconfig_params
CRS-4123: Oracle High Availability Services has been started.
Failed to write the checkpoint:'' with status:FAIL.Error code is 256
Oracle Grid Infrastructure stack start initiated but failed to complete at
/u01/app/grid/crs/install/crsconfig_lib.pm line 11627.

When I opened a SR with oracle they told me that HAIP is running at node 1
while not running at node 2.
As a workaround they suggested me to stop haip on node 1 as well. I did it
and the was able to start ASM

Last night I was applying JAN 2014 psu on same RAC nodes. I was able to
apply it on node 1, restarted grid and everything. But when I applied it on
node 2 it faile dto start with the same error as i got two weks back.
And here i found out that HAIP was running at node 2. That stumped me as
earlier i'd seen haip not running on node 2.
I'd to turn it off again get going.

Do you think a grid restart or patching would trigger HAIP while it was
down couple of weeks back and nothing changed? What else could be the
reason?