Re: HA options

  • From: Ram K <lambu999@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 15:21:28 -0500

Thanks everyone for the responses.
The patching team wants several hours downtime for patching and the
business side does not like that many hours and are looking for minimizing
downtime as much as possible. Going forward I have to look at alternate
solutions. RAC is one option, but it is pricier (when we present the $
involved with higher price options, they usually back down). Plus, as Nuno
pointed out, applying patches for storage could be an issue with RAC. But
still with RAC, the application will be available during OS patching etc -
not as much downtime.

We are in the process of setting up dataguard and I am learning the finer
details of it. I was thinking that with dataguard, there will be lesser
downtime than keeping the DB totally shutdown. They may not like the fact
there will be 2 downtimes during switchover, so i am trying to find out if
there is a 'seamless switchover' in 11g somewhere that I am not aware of.

I know about replication, RAC, etc (some of our DBs are RACed), but we are
looking to see how far we can go with DG.