Guidelines for rebuilding indexes

  • From: "Vijay Vardhineni" <vvardhineni@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 09:00:31 -0600

We have couple of tables with over 850 Million records.  Production team is
rebuilding these indexes few times every year.  This is a OLTP application.
We do not have any deletes on these tables.  Most of the DMLs on these
tables are only inserts/updates.  Updates on these tables may be causing
some DEL_LF_ROWS.  These tables are not partitioned.  We do not have any
bulk operations on these tables

If the indexes are using lots of space for DEL_LF_ROWS, then we may need to
rebuild indexes to move the indexes to the other tablespaces to release
space to the OS.

I would like to know if there are any other reasons for rebuilding indexes.

I appreciate any inputs on this.

Thanks
Vijay