RE: Grid skepticism

  • From: "Orr, Steve" <sorr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 10:12:02 -0600

The article doesn't actually say that MySQL can do grid but in the
immediate context the author is not clear as to what he's talking about.
Regarding the statement, "throwing servers at the problem," what IS the
problem anyway?=20

Is the "problem:"=20
1) merely providing general database services; or=20
2) providing simultaneous access to the SAME data for 10,000 concurrent
sessions?=20

The greater context of the article is questioning the need for grid in
the first place and there are very few outfits who REALLY need to solve
the second problem. If you don't need to support an extremely large
number of users having concurrent access the *same* data then why pay
for this functionality when something much cheaper will do the job just
fine?=20

I work at one of the world's top 25 ASP's and we can very effectively
and cost efficiently throw MySQL/Linux servers at the "problem" because
our database schemas are completely self-contained. So let's see, I have
this new customer with a self-contained set of data and I need to
provide database services for their web app. Do I put them on... An
inexpensive database server that merely does the job well... Or on an
all encompassing grid infrastructure with this hugely expensive,
expansive, and sometimes complex RDBMS that comes with or markets its
support for grid, clustering, multi-master and materialized view
replication, queuing, OLAP, data warehousing, data mining, partitioning,
automatic storage management, job scheduling, flashback queries, BLAST
queries, GeoRaster queries, object oriented data types, text search,
spatial search, "Ultra Search," workflow, XML, directory services and
Internet directory services, internet file systems, clustered file
systems, embedded Java and a Java development platform, an application
server, a web server, a wallet manager, a data mart suite, a
collaboration suite, an e-business suite, an "express server," an
internet developer suite, a JSP engine, HTML DB, BLAF, and oh yeah,
BEANS and a 5 day class just on new features!

Why pay for things you don't need? To preserve the customer base and
keep people like me from moving to another RDBMS Oracle needs to provide
a basic ANSI SQL database server for about $2K max per server. IMHO.

Steve Orr
Off the grid in Bozeman, Montana
(And sold my Oracle stock.)