RE: Grid Control agent monitor multiple IPs on single server

  • From: "Jorgensen, Finn" <Finn.Jorgensen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx'" <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>, "'pdba1966@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <pdba1966@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 13:27:11 -0400

Alan/Rich,

It's very scriptable and very doable and also very scalable. I have a lot of
servers with hundreds of databases all managed in this way through scripts. I
don't use automatic target discovery. Instead I have a script running every
hour on each server that looks for new targets (compare what's running with
what's registered in the repository) and registers anything that's new using
EMCLI.

To answer the other question, why have more than one IP on one server other
than for failover clusters - I've been on a project where the app was so chatty
the number of packets on the IP layer was so huge the protocol couldn't keep
up. Literally over a hundred thousand packets per second. I had to split
different parts of the app on different IP's to improve performance.

Thanks,
Finn