Re: Grants on a remote table?

  • From: William Robertson <william@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 18:13:20 +0000

If the database link doesn't connect directly to the MOE account, you'll need a synonym for it in the remote database.

Gus Spier
13 March 2011 14:24

OK, I've managed to confuse myself ... again.

User MOE has developed an uncomplicated table on the DEV database.  He wants users LARRY and CURLY, both members of the STOOGES role, to be able to access the table from the PROD database.

We make the table available to the PROD database through a PUBLIC database link.  MOE grants SELECT to PUBLIC on his table.

Back on the PROD database, we create a public synonym for the table (CREATE PUBLIC SYNONYM PRATFALLS FOR  MOE.PRATFALLS@DEV).

Now we ask LARRY and CURLEY to SELECT COUNT(*) FROM PRATFALLS ... And they get the message, "TABLE DOES NOT EXIST".

What am I doing wrong?

Regards,
Gus