Re: Grants on a remote table?

  • From: Mayen.Shah@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: gus.spier@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 10:39:12 -0400

Hi Gus,

Can LARRY and CURLEY select directly from the remote table without using
public synonyms?

Select count(*) from moe.pratfalls@dev;

Thanks
Mayen

From:   "Gus Spier" <gus.spier@xxxxxxxxx>
To:     oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:   03/13/2011 10:26 AM
Subject:        Grants on a remote table?
Sent by:        oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

OK, I've managed to confuse myself ... again.

User MOE has developed an uncomplicated table on the DEV database.  He
wants users LARRY and CURLY, both members of the STOOGES role, to be able
to access the table from the PROD database.

We make the table available to the PROD database through a PUBLIC database
link.  MOE grants SELECT to PUBLIC on his table.

Back on the PROD database, we create a public synonym for the table
(CREATE PUBLIC SYNONYM PRATFALLS FOR  MOE.PRATFALLS@DEV).

Now we ask LARRY and CURLEY to SELECT COUNT(*) FROM PRATFALLS ... And they
get the message, "TABLE DOES NOT EXIST".

What am I doing wrong?

Regards,
Gus