Re: Ghost database

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: RStorey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 18:04:36 +0000

Hi Bob
I haven't got an 11g agent to look at, but I do have a 10g agent and an
11.2 dbconsole install. Both of these discover database (and ASM) entries
from HKLM\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services on windows via the
%AGENT_HOME%\sysman\admin\discover\utl\winRegistry.pl perl script.I imagine
that the same will be true for your case.

The bit of vbscript below should hopefully also return your ghost sid. save
as a .vbs file in a c:\scripts on the server and run from the command line.
You'll get an oratab like text file in the same directory called
listhomes.txt.

' VBScript source code
Const ForAppending = 8
Set FSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set LogFile = FSO.OpenTextFile("c:\scripts\listhomes.txt", _
    ForAppending, True)

strComputer = "."

ListOracleHomes

sub ListOracleHomes

        ' write header
        LogFile.Write ("SID,ORACLE_HOME")

        strQuery = "Select * from Win32_Service where DisplayName like
'OracleService%'"

        ' get list of services
        Set OraServices = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" &
strComputer).ExecQuery(strQuery)

        For each s in OraServices
                LogFile.Write(vbCrLf)
                LogFile.Write(mid(s.PathName,instr(1,s.PathName," ")+1))
                LogFile.Write(",")
                LogFile.Write(left(s.PathName,instr(1,s.PathName,"bin") - 1))
        next
end sub

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Storey, Robert (DCSO) <
RStorey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Opened a SR with Oracle on this one.  Their first response was to send
> back the discovery process steps that are listed in the docs, which I"ve
> already gone through.
>
> This is on a Windows 2003 server.  There are no registry keys associated
> to the database.  I checked the inventory.xml file in the oracle\inventory
> path and no mention of the database in question.
>
> I did a registry search and a file system search for the database name and
> found nothing.
>
> Yet, the Agent11g discovery STILL finds this old deleted database.
>
> Anyone got any other ideas of where this information might be hiding that
> the agent is finding?
>
> Thanks

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA