Re: Getting started with RMAN

  • From: Janine Sisk <janine@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jeremiah Wilton <jwilton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 15:05:53 -0700

On May 4, 2010, at 2:56 PM, Jeremiah Wilton wrote:

> On May 4, 2010, at 2:41 PM, Janine Sisk wrote:
>
>> I just took a quick look at Oracle's Backup and Recovery doc to see what I
>> would be getting myself into in using RMAN.  Since this is an Amazon EC2
>> instance, there's no tape drive and my only choice is to back up to "disk"
>> (really an EBS volume created for this purpose).
>
> Janine,
>
> Is there a reason you don't want to use Oracle's OSB Cloud MML for RMAN to
> back up to S3?

I'm pretty sure we don't have a license for it and I'm way too far down the
food chain of DBAs to ask for it.

> That's pretty much the standard way to back up Oracle on EC2. If you can't
> afford the license for that, I would go with hot backup mode plus EBS
> snapshots to S3.  Simply backing up to an EBS volume in the same availability
> zone seems like too little protection for my taste.

I already have two forms of backups going - EBS snapshots done with the
database in backup mode, and a full export every night (which also gets backed
up to a different snapshot).   This would be a third method, and I would
snapshot the RMAN EBS as well.  You can never have too many backups, right? :)

> On EC2, I use one EBS volume as a flash (fast??) recovery area (FRA) for RMAN
> disk backups of the database and also as my local archivelog destination.  I
> then use RMAN's "backup recovery area" to S3 with backup optimization using
> the OSB Cloud MML.
>
> If the retention configuration is set correctly, you never have to write
> archivelog management scripts or manually delete anything.  When the FRA
> reaches 100% full, as long as it satisfies retention parameters, Oracle
> removes the oldest items in the FRA to make room for incoming
> archivelogs/backups.  It is very hands-off.

That's exactly why I'm contemplating setting up RMAN now, instead of waiting
for that mythical time when I will have more time to think about it.

>> So... what's your favorite book/website/other resource on configuring RMAN
>> for the first time?
>
> Oracle Press just came out with "Oracle RMAN 11g Backup and Recovery" (
> http://amzn.to/cn8LyoI ). I guess I am supposed to steer you towards that
> since I wrote the chapter on backing up to Amazon S3.  OTOH, the Oracle
> documentation is pretty decent too.

Duly noted - thanks!  I just realized I have the 9i version of that book, which
I guess tells you how long I've been thinking about doing this...

janine