Re: Generate a huge fake employee table

  • From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2011 15:48:08 +0100

Hmm, I have devoted the 4th chapter of "Refactoring SQL Applications" to
the generation of test data ...

In a nutshell:
  * Get a file that contains common family names. For American names
this is a good source -
http://www.census.gov/genealogy/www/data/2000surnames/index.html. For a
more worldy view go there:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_most_common_surnames
 * Load the data with the frequency into a table
 * Pick first names here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_popular_given_names, and do
the same as above.
 * Use dbms_random to pick surname and first name with the correct
frequency.

You will get a very realistic-looking list of names.

HTH,

Stephane Faroult
RoughSea Ltd <http://www.roughsea.com>
Konagora <http://www.konagora.com>