GTT Locks

  • From: Ravi Kulkarni <kulkarni.ravi@xxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 16:51:42 -0600

Trying to understand the locking behavior of GTTs (Global Temporary Tables) :
(GTT_T is a GTT. T is a regular table)

SQL> insert into gtt_t values (1000);
1 row created.

SQL> select object_name, object_type, a.object_id, b.locked_mode from
dba_objects a, v$locked_object b where a.object_id=b.object_id;
no rows selected

SQL> insert into gtt_t select *from T;
1 row created.

SQL> select object_name, object_type, a.object_id, b.locked_mode from
dba_objects a, v$locked_object b where a.object_id=b.object_id;

OBJECT_NAME   OBJECT_TYPE    OBJECT_ID     OBJECT_ID LOCKED_MODE
GTT_T        TABLE           204835       204835     3

The user acquires a lock on the GTT for performing DML ONLY when selecting from
a Non-GTT.
1. How is this different from the first insert on GTT? (In either case, I
noticed a 'TO' lock-type in v$lock)
2. Where can I find more info on GTT-peculiarities ?

TIA,
Ravi.