RE: GRID

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ORACLE-L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 16:10:28 -0500 (CDT)

Hey Brandon,

> I would guess he's talking about *outside* of Grid Control - just using
> utl_mail to send alerts when they arrive in dba_outstanding_alerts or the
> advanced queue.  I do something similar - I just run a script from cron to
> check for records in dba_outstanding_alerts every X minutes and email me
> whatever it finds via mailx (easier than using utl_mail in my opinion, but
> maybe just because I'm not very familiar with utl_mail).

I like that idea -- a LOT!  I use utl_mail all the time for Production
business reporting with XML attachments (ala MS Excel) and DBA-type reports,
too.  A good start is a wrapper package called DEMO_MAIL from OTN:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/sample_code/tech/pl_sql/htdocs/maildemo_sql.txt

It's a great start to using utl_mail.  I made a few changes to our local
copy, including adding "MIME-Version" in the email header for multipart
messages, which I believe is part of RFC822.  It's already in my GC
repository and would be a breeze (for me) to incorporate.

Thanks!  Putting dba_outstanding_alerts on my "to-do" list...
Rich