GMT VS LOCAL TIME PROBLEM

  • From: Wolfson Larry - lwolfs <lawrence.wolfson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 16:28:31 -0500

I'm trying to help one of our DBAs.
        He posed this timestamp problem and I'm not sure how to resolve it.

        "Our external gauges are writing their values into the database
information, along with the time the reading was taken, the time is being
written into the database as a character string and is written as a GMT
date.
        Other systems reading this information need to convert the string to
a date and to their local time zone thus need to be aware of the time-zone
they're operating in and take into account whether DST was/is in operation
at the time of the reading"

        We're collecting real-time machine statistics from many
manufacturing plants across the country.  Roughly 3K/hour from 20 plants or
every time a gauge changes.  It's a purchased app and we've been
unsuccessful getting an application change.  This data is forwarded to a SAP
DB that wants the local time.  He's thinking about writing a C program as a
function to do the time conversion.  The biggest problem is adjusting the
time as it goes to DST and back.
        The sources are Oracle DBs on INTEL machines at each plant.  These
are fed data from the collecting application.

        Anyone doing this already?

        Thanks
        Larry

named above, and may be legally privileged.
If the reader of this message is not the intended
distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly
prohibited.
please re-send this communication to the sender and
delete the original message or any copy of it from your
computer system. Thank You.