GLOBAL_NAMES parameter for streams

  • From: "Hameed, Amir" <Amir.Hameed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ORACLE-L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 11:07:49 -0400

Folks,
Is it absolutely necessary to set the GLOBAL_NAMES parameter to TRUE for
databases that participate in streams? If I set this parameter to FALSE
but make sure that the db links are always named after the target
database name, would there be any issue with this approach? I just spoke
with Oracle and their duty manager told me that it may work fine but
that it would not be supported, an argument that I am a little hesitant
to buy.

This is kina urgent, so I would really appreciate a quick response.

Thanks
Amir