Re: Fwd: increasing parallel_max_servers.

  • From: genegurevich@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 07:01:06 -0500

John,

Thanks for your response

I see that the total number of the parallel slave processes on my DB
consistently equal to the current value
of my parallel_max_servers parameter AND I see a number of sessions running
in sequential mode while
they could benefit from the parallel execution. I also see that the degree
of parallelism on the parallel queries
often times is less than the requested degree of parallelism. All of that
tells me that there is a need for more
parallel processes.

I'll take a look at the article you mentioned.

thank you

Gene Gurevich

             "John Kanagaraj"
             <john.kanagaraj@g
             mail.com>                                                  To
             Sent by:                  oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
             oracle-l-bounce@f                                          cc
             reelists.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Fwd: increasing
             08/24/2007 05:26          parallel_max_servers.
             PM

             Please respond to
             john.kanagaraj@gm
                  ail.com

Gene,

What makes you think that your current value of parallel_max_servers is not
enough or that it is fully utilized so you need more? I ask because long
ago, I had to step into a situation where an "expert" recommended setting
this value to a large one in a 2 CPU box (albeit on 7.x) to "increase the
performance" and that killed the CPUs :)  Not sure how many CPUs you have
on your system, but these days you rarely see anything more than a 32 CPU
box.

You might want to take a look at an excellent article on Tuning Parallel
Execution by Doug Burns in the Q3 2005 issue of IOUG's SELECT Journal
before you finalize this.

--
John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc

On 8/24/07, genegurevich@xxxxxxxxxxxx <genegurevich@xxxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:

  Hello:

  I am planning to increase the parallel_max_servers from its current value

  (32) to either 64 or 128.
  I am trying to figure out if I need to increase shared_pool or large_pool
  to avoid running out of memory.
  Right now my shared_pool is 464M the reserved_shared_pool is 23M,
  large_pool is 112M.