Fwd: Re: Downsides to OMF?

  • From: Vit Spinka <vit.spinka@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 20:12:09 +0100

Hi all,

one downside can be the automatical deletion of files. Think of sharing
read-only tablespaces among multiple databases (using TTS) - if you drop
it from the first database, the files get deleted.

Vit

Dne 22.3.2010 19:28, Charles Schultz napsal(a):
Good day, list,

We are holding an internal discussion about the pros and cons of using
Oracle-managed files. In trying to gauge what Real World DBAs have
concluded, I am finding a lot of google hits that basically parrot the
mantra put forth by the Oracle Documentation. Basically, from what
little exposure we have had and what little I can find online, the major
disadvantage of using OMF can be boiled down to:
1. non-human-sensical names
2. Oracle related bugs (*gasp*)

Is that it? Has anyone ever run into a situation where they were using
OMF and thought, for a second, "Man, this would be so much easier if I
had manually-managed files!"?

Note that I am not concerned about ASM/RAC in this context - that adds a
lot of spice to this discussion that I'll get into later. *grin*

--
Charles Schultz