Fwd: AIX Concurrent I/O for Oracle archive logs

  • From: David Roberts <big.dave.roberts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l-freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 22:05:48 +0100

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Roberts <big.dave.roberts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, May 25, 2010 at 10:05 PM
Subject: Re: AIX Concurrent I/O for Oracle archive logs
To: po04541@xxxxxxxxx

I will warn that this is a guess, all, abuse me at length!

Forgive me Alex!

With the appearance of Advanced format hard drives, Oracle has indicated
that they want to know the underlying disk physical file format for ASM file
systems and redo logs.

In the case of redo logs, it simply appears to be an attempt to begin redo
log buffer writes on block boundaries, theoretically reducing the number of
blocks written with each write, but obviously increasing the total number of
blocks written.

Thus I could see why holding redo logs on a file system with the same block
size as the underlying block size might improve performance, and there might
be a slight theoretical improvement in performance with regards archive redo
logs, I would suspect that the effect would be incredibly marginal!

Dave