RE: Fw: So who said it first .... (semi off topic)

  • From: "Cary Millsap" <cary.millsap@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <robyn.sands@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 10:48:25 -0600

I certainly did not invent the idea. I was probably introduced to it by
studying guys like Donald Knuth and Jon Bentley back before I had ever
heard of Oracle.

The general idea apparently dates back to 1668, if not before:
http://www.bartleby.com/66/9/40109.html. :-)

The earliest written reference in my own writing is, I believe, on
pp289-290 of Optimizing Oracle Performance, where I describe the
principle as a "well-worn joke."

Cary Millsap

Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.

http://www.hotsos.com

Nullius in verba

Hotsos Symposium 2008 / March 2-6 / Dallas

Visit www.hotsos.com for curriculum and schedule details...