Fw: Redundant Interconnect Usage for 11gR2 RAC

  • From: Sreejith S Nair <Sreejith.Sreekantan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 11:19:07 +0530

Hi Friends,
I am planning to use this redundant interconnect feature in 11G R2 for one of
our prod database running in solaris 10. We have frequent node evictions in
this db ( when it was 10g). We have upgraded this and planning to use this
feature.

This is what I get from google and metalink.

While in previous releases bonding, trunking, teaming, or similar technology
was required to make use of redundant network connections between the nodes to
be used as redundant,dedicated, private communication channels or
&#8220;interconnect&#8221;, Oracle Clusterware now provides an integrated
solution to ensure &#8220;Redundant Interconnect Usage&#8221;. This
functionality is available starting with Oracle Database 11g Release 2, Patch
Set One (11.2.0.2).

I would like to know how this is to be configured in an environment. Before,
raising an SR, I thought i would collect information from someone who have done
this before.

So we have a private NIC in two nodes which will act as a private interconnect
and with 11G , HAIP will run in this nic. Now, if I want to add one more NIC
for redundancy, what are the steps I should do.
1 ) Configure the NIC in hardware level in same subnet
2 ) check the nic availability using ifconfig or some other commands.
3 ) Configure it for RAC using oifcfg as below.

Before
======
# $GRID_HOME/bin/oifcfg getif
eth0 10.2.156.0 global public
eth1 192.168.12.0 global cluster_interconnect

Add eth2 as reduntant NIC

# $GRID_HOME/bin/oifcfg setif -global \
eth2/192.168.12.0:cluster_interconnect

Verify the configuration
# $GRID_HOME/bin/oifcfg getif
eth0 10.2.156.0 global public
eth1 192.168.12.0 global cluster_interconnect
eth2 192.168.2.0 global cluster_interconnect

Reboot the nodes and clusterware.

Now, after reboot, clusterware will come up with redundant interconnects. If
suppose my eth1 in either node has some problem, the HAIP service running in
these nodes will failover to eth2.
I hope no other modifications are needed for this. Please someone share your
experiences or correct me if I have missed any steps .

Thanks in Advance,
Sreejith

&nbsp;

DISCLAIMER:

"The information in this e-mail and any attachment is intended only for the
person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged
material. If you have received this e-mail in error, kindly contact the sender
and destroy all copies of the original communication. IBS makes no warranty,
express or implied, nor guarantees the accuracy, adequacy or completeness of
the information contained in this email or any attachment and is not liable for
any errors, defects, omissions, viruses or for resultant loss or damage, if
any, direct or indirect."