Fw: Re: Flash for TEMP

  • From: Kellyn Pedersen <kjped1313@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle Freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 16:10:44 -0700 (PDT)

Jared and others had some very valuable questions that I finally got out of
meetings and was able to reply to him, (somewhat ungracefully...:)) and thought
I would just forward this along that would also shed light on the fact of how
much parallel, (yep, there's that PQ!!) that I have going on in my
environments, (please feel free to cringe if you wish...I understand
completely!! :))

I always build my temp tablespaces with files that alternate between drives so
that when the parallel does stripe across the tablespaces involved, that they
are able to benefit from this.  Even if parallel is not present, I still have
processes that will choose different temp tablespaces, which still out-performs
a single temporary tablespace that will write to one tempfile, fill, then move
to the next...

I'm still for keeping my temp tablespace use as light as possible-  actually
having an automated script that checks temp usage and if anyone goes over
100GB, it emails the distribution list.  The developers refer to it as
"Kellyn's Email of Shame"...  :)

Kellyn Pedersen
Sr. Database Administrator
I-Behavior Inc.
http://www.linkedin.com/in/kellynpedersen
www.dbakevlar.blogspot.com

"Go away before I replace you with a very small and efficient shell script..."

From: Kellyn Pedersen <kjped1313@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Flash for TEMP
To: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 4:53 PM

Very important point, I should let the rest of the group know-  I'll answer
your two questions first about parallel-  yes and yes... :)  About 80% of our
daily processing is parallel, (the original DBA group did NOT give this group
good advice about WHEN to use parallel! )

So of course, my striping across the temp tablespaces appear something like
this:

SQL_TEXT SQL_ID
SID TABLESPACE OPERATION_TYPE PGA MB Mem MB Temp MB
create table load.tbla as  select *  from (    select /*+ use_ 0zjs5t0qj244k
487 TEMP_2 HASH-JOIN                    87 74 880
create table load.tbla as  select *  from (    select /*+ use_ 0zjs5t0qj244k
546 TEMP_1 HASH-JOIN 87 74 880
create table load.tbla as  select *  from (    select /*+ use_ 0zjs5t0qj244k
455 TEMP_3 HASH-JOIN 87 74 880