Re: Fw: OT - Getting fired for database oops

  • From: Yong Huang <yong321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jkstill@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 11:15:08 -0700 (PDT)

Jared,

What is that xtitle function? Does that only work in xterm? Thanks!

I use two different background colors in Putty, one for Prod connections, the
other for Dev. The initial ones are manually created and later ones are
"cloned" (load, change hostname, save to a new name). I also set Putty title to
server-specific text, e.g.:

PROMPT_COMMAND='echo -ne "\033]0;ProdDB1\007"'

It works if you use bash and Putty. I always have many ssh windows open. On the
task bar, the Putty title will be shown in the minimized tab. And of course set
Prod server prompt differently, e.g. a bold red one for Prod:

PS1='\[\e[7;31m\]\h \W $ \[\e[m\]'

Nothing can replace a clear mind. But UNIX does need to do something to cater
to human nature without sacrificing performance. Suggesting alias rm=rm -i is
not a good one because users get numb. But building in a serious warning into
rm for "rm [options] /" is a good one. (We use ASM so rm'ing datafiles by just
a few key strokes won't happen.)

Setting SQLPlus prompt is a good idea. Also, SQLPlus DOS version can
automatically set window title, by default to C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe -
sqlplus username@conn, if you typed sqlplus username@conn. You can shorten that
if you really want to, so the text is visible on the minimized tab. And you can
manually set it with DOS command title (host title inside SQLPlus).

Yong Huang

--- Jared Still wrote ---

Using different colors is helpful. Personally I usually do that on Windows.

On linux/unix I have a modified version of oraenv called 'koraenv'.
(works in bash to BTW)

Among other things, when the user is 'oracle', koraenv calls an xtitle
function from .bashrc.  This sets the title of my putty windows to
ORACLE_SID - username pwd