Further Questions re ASM and RAC

  • From: "William Wagman" <wjwagman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 16:47:27 -0700

Greetings,

I am continuing to have difficulties getting ASM installed and
configured in my two-node RAC cluster, Oracle 10.2.0.3.0 on RHEL3 and I
am certain there is some very simple little bit which I am missing but I
just can't figure this out.

I encountered difficulties with the ASM installation a couple of days
ago and it was suggested that I uninstall everything and start all over
again with CRS which I did. I installed CRS and began the installation
of ASM. I configured the ASM instance using the installer. When it got
to the point of creating a disk group I accepted what I thought was the
default 'DATA' and continued but the installer said such a group already
existed. That surprised me because I thought I had removed all traces by
uninstalling, deleteing and dd on disks. Nevertheless, the install
seemed ok, it just couldn't mount the disk groups. I went ahead,
installed the 10.2.0.3.0 patch set and am now trying to get the dis
groups mounted and here is what I find. First, there is a diskgroup but
it is not mounted...

SQL> select * from v$asm_diskgroup;

GROUP_NUMBER NAME                           SECTOR_SIZE BLOCK_SIZE
ALLOCATION_UNIT_SIZE STATE
------------ ------------------------------ ----------- ----------
-------------------- -----------
TYPE     TOTAL_MB    FREE_MB REQUIRED_MIRROR_FREE_MB USABLE_FILE_MB
OFFLINE_DISKS U
------ ---------- ---------- ----------------------- --------------
------------- -
COMPATIBILITY
DATABASE_COMPATIBILITY
           0 DATA                                   512       4096
1048576 DISMOUNTED
                0          0                       0              0
0 N
0.0.0.0.0
0.0.0.0.0

I can't mount it...

SQL> alter diskgroup data mount;
alter diskgroup data mount
*
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-15032: not all alterations performed
ORA-15063: ASM discovered an insufficient number of disks for diskgroup
"DATA"

I can't add a disk...

SQL> alter diskgroup data add disk '/dev/raw/raw3';
alter diskgroup data add disk '/dev/raw/raw3'
*
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-15032: not all alterations performed
ORA-15001: diskgroup "DATA" does not exist or is not mounted

Nor can I drop it...

SQL> drop diskgroup data including contents;
drop diskgroup data including contents
*
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-15039: diskgroup not dropped
ORA-15001: diskgroup "DATA" does not exist or is not mounted

So I tried to create a new disk group...

SQL> create diskgroup GROUP1 external redundancy
  2  disk '/dev/raw/raw3';
create diskgroup GROUP1 external redundancy
*
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-15018: diskgroup cannot be created
ORA-15020: discovered duplicate ASM disk "DATA_0000"

But I don't see where that disk shows up...

SQL> select group_number,disk_number,name,path from v$asm_disk;

GROUP_NUMBER DISK_NUMBER NAME
------------ ----------- ------------------------------
PATH
----------------------------
           0           0
/dev/raw/raw4

           0           1
/dev/raw/raw3

           0           4
ORCL:VOL2

           0           3
ORCL:VOL1

           0           2
/dev/raw/raw2

The parameter asm_diskstring is not set but I don't know if that has
anything to do with this. I'm completely stuck, I don't know what else
to look at. I did configure the disks with oracleasm and I am pretty
sure I did that part correctly. Sorry to keep bugging everyone with this
but I'm completely stuck. I suspect it is something simple that I am
just not seeing. If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis
IET Campus Data Center