Re: Funny sort of question re sys password

  • From: "Juan Cachito Reyes Pacheco" <jreyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 14:38:13 -0400

Re: Funny sort of question re sys passwordMy question to all of you is, do you
know what is a spyware and how does it works.
I ask you "Do you know , or do you have a way to know if you have a spyware
installed in you
machine"
In windows there are several, (including norton), spysweeper, adaware, etc.
In linux what do you use?
      From:   Nuno Souto [SMTP:dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]

      Someone at work maintains that it takes them 10 minutes to
      break the Oracle SYS password security.

      And the Sun boof-head (a different person and I use the
      term loosely...) assures me he's capable of doing so any time
      he wants.

      Now, I've been away from this security stuff for a year or so and
      I may well be wrong here, but breaking the password security
      means cracking the Oracle encryption.  While this may be possible,
      I can't believe it only takes 10 minutes?

      Wouldn't it rather be a case of social engineering at work?
      Or just a plain vanilla "change_on_install" case?

      <says he who used to change it to "changed",
      with the obvious funny consequences>
      Cheers
      Nuno Souto
      nsouto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx