Re: Function-based indexes and trunc()

  • From: Mohamed Houri <mohamed.houri@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2014 16:57:16 +0200

Chris,

I don’t know clearly how Oracle is optimizing the *trunc* function. I have
shown in a blog article that if you create an index on a virtual column
virt_col* (**trunc (col1))*, and you use a where clause on column *col1*,
the index on the virtual column is selected by the CBO.

http://hourim.wordpress.com/2013/10/25/index-on-a-virtual-column-would-it-help-others/

However, in the same article I have tried several virtual columns using
 different function (abs, round, ceil, etc…) which reveal not having the
same behavior as the trunc function.

In your case, the similarity to my blog article looks close. Consider the
following indexes (12c)

SQL> create index mho_t_cost_ind on plch_invoices(abs(total_cost));

SQL> select *

  2  from plch_invoices

  3  where total_cost >= abs(100);

| Id  | Operation         | Name          | Rows  | Bytes | Cost (%CPU)|
Time     |

|   0 | SELECT STATEMENT  |               |       |       |   171
(100)|          |

|*  1 |  TABLE ACCESS FULL| PLCH_INVOICES |    20 |   340 |   171   (1)|
00:00:01 |

Predicate Information (identified by operation id):

   1 - filter("TOTAL_COST">=100)

SQL> create index mho_t_cost_ind on plch_invoices(round(total_cost));

select * from plch_invoices where total_cost >= round(100)

| Id  | Operation         | Name          | Rows  | Bytes | Cost (%CPU)|
Time     |

|   0 | SELECT STATEMENT  |               |       |       |   171
(100)|          |

|*  1 |  TABLE ACCESS FULL| PLCH_INVOICES |    20 |   340 |   171   (1)|
00:00:01 |

Predicate Information (identified by operation id):

   1 - filter("TOTAL_COST">=100)

And so on until you will use the trunc function

SQL> create index mho_t_cost_ind on plch_invoices(trunc(total_cost));

| Id  | Operation                           | Name           | Rows  |
Bytes |

|   0 | SELECT STATEMENT                    |                |
|       |

|*  1 |  TABLE ACCESS BY INDEX ROWID BATCHED| PLCH_INVOICES  |    20 |
340 |

|*  2 |   INDEX RANGE SCAN                  | MHO_T_COST_IND |  1642
|       |

Predicate Information (identified by operation id):

   1 - filter("TOTAL_COST">=100)

   2 - access("PLCH_INVOICES"."SYS_NC00005$">=TRUNC(100))

I have tried to disable the hidden parameter that seems optimizing the
trunc function but this didn’t changed anything:

SQL> alter session set "_truncate_optimization_enabled" = false;

Session altered.

select * from plch_invoices where total_cost >= trunc(100)

Plan hash value: 1694338939

| Id  | Operation                           | Name           | Rows  |
Bytes |

|   0 | SELECT STATEMENT                    |                |
|       |

|*  1 |  TABLE ACCESS BY INDEX ROWID BATCHED| PLCH_INVOICES  |     8 |
136 |

|*  2 |   INDEX RANGE SCAN                  | MHO_T_COST_IND |     8
|       |

Predicate Information (identified by operation id):

   1 - filter("TOTAL_COST">=100)

   2 - access("PLCH_INVOICES"."SYS_NC00005$">=TRUNC(100))

Note

-----

   - statistics feedback used for this statement

May be Jonathan Lewis (or others) has a clue to show us why the trunc
function is considered differently by the CBO?

By the way, in your particular case the CBO starts using the index from
11.2.0.3 as shown below:

SQL> alter session set optimizer_features_enable='10.2.0.4';

| Id  | Operation          | Name          | Rows  | Bytes | Cost (%CPU)|
Time

|   0 | SELECT STATEMENT   |               |       |       |   174
(100)|

|*  1 |  FILTER            |               |       |       |

|*  2 |   TABLE ACCESS FULL| PLCH_INVOICES |   101 |  1717 |   174   (3)|
00:00:03 |

SQL> alter session set optimizer_features_enable='11.2.0.1';

| Id  | Operation          | Name          | Rows  | Bytes | Cost (%CPU)|
Time     |

|   0 | SELECT STATEMENT   |               |       |       |   174
(100)|

|*  1 |  FILTER            |               |       |       |

|*  2 |   TABLE ACCESS FULL| PLCH_INVOICES |   101 |  1717 |   174   (3)|
00:00:03

SQL> alter session set optimizer_features_enable='11.2.0.3';

| Id  | Operation                    | Name                    | Rows  |
Bytes |

|   0 | SELECT STATEMENT             |                         |
|       |

|*  1 |  FILTER                      |                         |
|       |

|*  2 |   TABLE ACCESS BY INDEX ROWID| PLCH_INVOICES           |   101 |
1717 |

|*  3 |    INDEX RANGE SCAN          | PLCH_INVO_RAISED_DATE_I |   821
|       |

 Best regards

Mohamed Houri

www.hourim.wordpress.com