Freelist Groups in 11g documentation

  • From: Martin Bach <development@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 17:24:19 +0000

Dear list members,

seems like I am beaten by Sunday evening blindness but I can't find
anything useful regarding freelist groups in the 11g documentation. I
queried tahiti.oracle.com and google but all I got back were hits in 9i
and OPS documentation.

So it seems users are discouraged from using manual segment space
management?

I am asking because I couldn't reply properly (to my own standards) to a
developer who wanted to increase ITL entries and freelists on some index
segments where he saw lots of buffer busy waits (read by other session)
during a parallel alter table move ... updating global indexes. Oh, the
developer claimed they were in data blocks, not segment headers (based
on an AWR report).

Is there a good source of information available besides said slightly
older documentation? Or does anyone know why you'd increase freelists
and ITL entries for indexes? From a thread on this list I thought there
wasn't much point in doing so...

Any pointers to information appreciated.

Martin

PS: Oracle 10.2.0.4.1 64bit on RHEL 5.3/3 node cluster (and no
interconnect problem :)