Re: Force matching and SQL plan management

  • From: Dominic Brooks <dombrooks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle.blog3@xxxxxxxxx" <oracle.blog3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 06:19:32 +0000

> 1. Would putting this in place avoid hard parsing or would it still go though
> the hard parse phase(even with profile is set).  Do note the
> signature(force_matching_signature is same for this type of SQL)

You'd probably want to be looking at an outline-style profile with force_match
set to true. See Oracle-supplied script coe_xfr_sql_profile.sql available from
Oracle Support website.

> 2. Can this be done with SQL Plan Baseline, as i rather use Baseline instead
> of profile.  As Baseline seems to work for me in the past and profile
> sometimes do not work.

Baselines do not offer the same force matching capability, at least not in 11g.
They also have the potential to increase the parsing overhead as they always
generate the best cost plan first before trying to reproduce the baselined plan
with multiple strategies if unsuccessful.

Cheers,
Dominic