RE: Flippin Consultants!

  • From: "Goulet, Richard" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>, <howard.latham@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 10:06:20 -0400

    This is one time I'm going to agree with the "flipping consultant"
and Niall in general.

    Engaging a consultant is all about the Statement of Work.  If it's
not in there then there is no need to find what you don't know.  Would I
get cross with the consultant, possibly if it was impacting a production
critical system, otherwise I'd wander over to where he/she is working
and politely ask.  Remember you both have a job to do and your
representing your respective companies in the process, so leaving a good
impression is in both of your interests.  Now getting cross with your
manager for not filling you in and/or asking for your input before the
SOW was written is the much more productive direction to pursue.

    I've been on both sides of this fence and both of them can smell
nasty or pleasant.  All depends on the SOW, the information flow, and
the people involved.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
PAREXEL International