Re: Flash-only MetaLink :-(

  • From: Vladimir Andreev <vandreev@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bill Ferguson <wbfergus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 21:20:19 +0200

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 20:25, Bill Ferguson <wbfergus@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> One of the moderators there says that newer version geared towards
> "end-users", meaning basically people that don't know what they are
> doing and are easily impressed by useless graphics.

Well, OK, but does it have to be Flash? I mean, Google Docs, Reader, GMail
work splendidly on my HP-UX workstation and are no less geared towards
end-users...

I'm not an Open Source zealot by a long shot (I like the idea, though), but
I can't help but notice that it is the closed, proprietary nature of Flash
that's causing the problem here - I am able to happily run Firefox 2 on
HP-UX only because somebody could scratch their private itch by porting
Firefox to HP-UX; HP seems to have no itch for newer Flash versions (last
available: *Macromedia* Flash 6), Adobe doesn't seem to care either, and
nobody else can scratch that itch, since Flash is proprietary. Although
Oracle probably could, and should, if you ask me.