Re: Flashback database question?

  • From: Stefan Knecht <knecht.stefan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Harvinder_Singh@xxxxxxxxx" <Harvinder_Singh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 09:25:17 +0200

What brandon said, but also:

)      Falshback and archive log in on for database

2)      Db_recovery_file_dest_size is set to 100GB

3)      Create a restore_point for baseline database image

4)      Use the database and do all the processing

5)      Restore to restore_point created in step3) and start again

Surely you mean FLASHBACK DATABASE to the restorepoint, right ?
For flashback database you won't need archivelogs (or at least not a lot of
them), this feature mostly uses the flashback logs, and applies a small
amount of redo to make it consistent to be able to open it ( and not even
too sure about that, havent watched it so closely, but I'm happy to stand
corrected if someone has).

For something like this I've always ran a script to backup & delete the
archivelogs (or in test systems only delete) every n minutes to save
space... Works peachy.

On the other hand, for this type of thing, you may want to use a guaranteed
restore point, then the database will simply stop once it can no longer
guarantee that it will be able to flash back (and you can free up space by
deleteing archivelogs to let it continue).

Stefan

=========================

Stefan P Knecht
CEO & Founder