Re: Flashback, Restore Points and Standby databases

  • From: Tim Gorman <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 08:42:22 -0700

Restore points are stored within the control file, not the database, so redo is not generated when one is created and so it cannot be propagated across to a data guard standby.

On 11/6/14 20:46, Keith Moore wrote:
No, your standby will not flashback. You need to set a restore point on it as well. Unfortunately I don’t recall the details but you can google “Dataguard flashback standby” or something like that and I’m sure find an example. I believe you need to set a restore point on the standby to a time/SCN just before the restore point on the primary.

We had a similar situation but I took an easier approach. We just deferred the replication to the standby until our upgrade was complete. If we had to flashback, we could still resume replication from the point in time of the restore point. We had room for the accumulated archive logs so that was not an issue.

We used a guaranteed restore point and I would recommend that but you need to make sure you have enough space.

Keith Moore

On Nov 6, 2014, at 8:22 AM, Lyall Barbour <lyallbarbour@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:lyallbarbour@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Hello everyone,
Oracle 11.2.0.4, RHEL 5.10, Primary database and two Standby databases, one physical, the second Logical. This weekend, my company will be doing a massive conversion of an Application system from a company that we bought, into our main App. Before this happens, the App Team wants a backup of the Production database. I'll be doing an RMAN level 0, but i'm also blowing up our Flashback area so that i can set some restore points along the way this weekend. I'm trying to figure out how, in the case of a major issue, if we Flashed back to a certain Point, what happens to the Logical Standby? Does any know? Will it be Flashback too? Do i have to set a Restore Point on it, in line with the Restore on Primary? Is there no way that they'll stay in sync after a restore? Do i just have to rebuild it?
Thanks,
Lyall Barbour
-- //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l