Flashback Database NEWBIE - 10g - Going to setup one for first time

  • From: <Christopher.Taylor2@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 15:32:24 -0600

We have a training database that we're going to setup as a flashbackable
database (is that a word?).
The requirement is to take the restore point on Monday, do the training and
then flashback to the Monday restore point on Friday evening/Saturday morning.

This training database currently is not flashback enabled and generates regular
amounts of redo etc.

Here's my first question:  Can I look at the existing training database and
query the amount of redo activity generated to calculate the flashback area
size that I need to setup?
I'll want to be able to flashback to any point during the week on the off
chance they really fubar something and need to go back a day.

If this is true, what view(s) do I need to look at to drive my calculations?

Second question:  In the event I need to do a flashback to a the day before
(say Thursday back to Wednesday) will I still be able to flashback to Monday
once I get to Friday night?  I assume the answer to this is yes as long as the
Monday flashback is a guaranteed flashback recovery point.  Please correct me
if I'm wrong on that or need additional guidance.

Regards,

Chris Taylor
Oracle DBA
Parallon IT&S