First large table

  • From: "John Dunn" <jdunn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 11:01:49 -0000

Currently our database is small, with tables having no more than 200,000
rows.

Now we have a requirement to load data from text files and hold approx 15
million rows at any one time.

The Oracle platform is 8.1.7 on AIX 4.33

The data will be queried from a client PC using Crystal Reports

The table definition is somelike like

Column1        NUMBER(6)
Column2        NUMBER(2)
Column3        NUMBER(1)
Column4        VARCHAR2(20)
Column5        NUMBER(8),
Column6        NUMBER(8),
Column7        NUMBER(2),
Column8        VARCHAR2(2),
Column9        VARCHAR2(2),
Column10(Todays date)      DATE,
Column11      VARCHAR2(8),
Column12      VARCHAR2(8),
Column13      VARCHAR2(20),
Column14      VARCHAR2(60),

The report will select records using columns 14,13 and 10

The report will only be run once a day.

Data from the text files will be loaded into the table by sqlldr throughout
the day with approx 5000 records in a file.
Approx 250000 will be loaded in a day, i,e approx 50 files loaded per day.

Data will be deleted once a day. Data where column 10 equals a date 3 months
in the past will be deleted. i.e a days worth of data, approx 250000 records
will be deleted.

Data must be recoverable.

Although this does not seem too much of a problem I would like to know what
techniques I should be considering to

1. Maximise sqlldr performance
Is direct load an option here. I believe not as logging must be on and data
can be possibly be queried whilst data is loaded(although query will only
run once a day).
What should sqlldr rows and bindsize values be?

2. Maximise select performance
Index on columns 14,13 and 10
Seperate tablespace for this table. Seperate tablespace for index
Partiton table using column 10 as the value, i.e each partion will have
approx 250000 records.
Parallel queries

Anything else to consider?

3. Deletion of data, rollback segments

By deleting based on the table partition will this minimise rollback
requirements?
Any other advise on tuning this?

Any comments will be very much appreciated.

John

--
//www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l