Re: First install under windows

  • From: Jason Heinrich <jheinrich@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jdunn@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 09:45:22 -0500

Installing on Windows is actually considerably simpler, because you don't
have to worry about setting kernel parameters, environment variables, and
the umask; you don't have to make sure that the right versions of a dozen
different packages are installed; and at the end of the install there is no
linking, which means the install finishes more quickly.

One nice similarity between *nix and Windows installs is that since the OUI
is written in Java, Oracle was able to keep the interface identical across
platforms.  It's refreshingly familiar to those of us who have to work
cross-platform.

On 10/12/2005 8:26 AM, John Dunn wrote:

> I have undertaken numerous installs of Orcale 8,9 and 10 on Unix/Linux, but
> am about to do my first install (oracle 10) on Windows.
>
> Purely from the point of view of the install procedure, how different is
> installing on Windows from installing on Unix?
>
> John Dunn
>
> --
> //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l

Jason Heinrich