Firewalls, App Servers and Oracle databases

  • From: "Ben" <poelsb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle-L@Freelists. Org" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 15:23:26 -0500

Hi

We are redesigning our security framework in the usual manner, that is
(from the outside in) a firewall, an app server zone and then an Oracle
database zone. We have also proposed a "mixed" zone, or zones, that may
hold our mainframe, Windows file services and possibly data marts -
facilities
that may have different security requirements from the highly secure
operational databases.

There are three types of clients attempting to enter our secure area:
1. web based services
2. authourized maintainers - sys admins, DBAs
3. client/server apps

which all require different levels of control and access.

Are there any documents or books anyone can recommend that discuss how
best to handle security in such an environment. I am a DBA and I just
want to have a better understanding of the issues. In the end I am
only responsible for securing the database and the box's OS but I want to
understand the larger issues.

Thanks,

Ben