Re: Firewalling Oracle

  • From: Robyn <robyn.sands@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle-L@Freelists. Org (E-mail)" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 15:30:33 -0500

Jared,

We're using ip checking selectively to protect a few of the more critical
applications.  The biggest problem I've noticed is that users make new
requests for connections but the old ones seldom get cleaned up.  Then a new
hire inherits a machine and has access to the world.

Our entire datacenter is moving next weekend with all new ip addresses, so
we just happen to be in the process of re-identifying all the necessary
addresses.  :(

If all DBA's happened to be OCD, this wouldn't have occurred ...

You also have to restart the listener for a new addition to be recognized,
and a few of our app servers die anytime there is even a brief network
interruption so new additions have to wait for a scheduled restart.

Seems to me it can serve a good purpose in the right environment.  If it's
allowed to get sloppy, it's not only difficult to cleanup, everyone and
their cousin ends up in the list anyway.

my 2 cents ... Robyn

--
Robyn Anderson Sands
email: Robyn.Sands@xxxxxxxxxx