Re: Finally it is here (10gR2 installed and working ;)

  • From: Tanel Põder <tanel.poder.003@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "ORACLE-L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 04:19:46 +0100

Hi,

I've just installed 10gR2 on my Sony laptop with 512MB of memory, which is
actually running WinXP - in which I have a VMWare machine running RHAS3.0.

I gave the virtual machine 320MB memory during installation, installer
complained about too little memory (wanted 1GB) and slightly old glibc
libraries, but I could manually pass those checks (just by clicking on some
checkboxes in installer) and continue installing.
I did a custom install, unchecked the OLAP and spatial options and used DBCA to
generate db creation scripts and ran them later on when all GUI stuff had
finished, because of too little memory in my laptop (btw, my linux installation
doesn't have XWin installed, I used cygwin for X emulation during installation).
As I installed a preconfigured database, the whole thing went very fast (the
scripts were using dbms_backup_restore.restoredatafileto() procedure to put the
preconfigured files in place), under one hour to do soft installation + db
creation, including sample schemas import and EM configuration.

So, that's cool, the first impression is very good. Now I'll try to downsize
the virtual machine to 192MB or so, as with the previous 10.1.0.3 installation.

SQL> select * from v$version;

BANNER
Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Prod
PL/SQL Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production
CORE    10.2.0.1.0      Production
TNS for Linux: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production
NLSRTL Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production

SQL> select count(*) from v$parameter;

  COUNT(*)
----------
       258

SQL> select count(*) from x$ksppi;

  COUNT(*)
----------
      1385

SQL> select count(*) from dict;

  COUNT(*)
----------
      1870

SQL> select count(*) from dba_tables where owner = 'SYS';

  COUNT(*)
----------
       701

SQL> select count(*) from dba_objects;

  COUNT(*)
----------
     50314

SQL> select count(*) from v$event_name;

  COUNT(*)
----------
       874

SQL> select count(*) from v$sysstat;

  COUNT(*)
----------
       363

SQL> select count(*) from v$lock_type;

  COUNT(*)
       155

SQL> select count(*) from v$reserved_words;

  COUNT(*)
      1129

Let the party begin!!!

Tanel.