RE: Filesystem Block Size ? 1K or 4K or 8K ?

  • From: VIVEK_SHARMA <VIVEK_SHARMA@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>, 'ORACLE-L' <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 12:17:44 +0530

Thanks Folks for the support

MWF wrote -> Unless your underlying physical media is ssd, flash, or those
fancy new 4K sector drives, it is likely whatever you are looking at is
assembled from 512 byte "sectors."

HP who co-anchor this benchmark gave the following:-
HP-UX B.11.31
system device block size(think this is the O.S. block size) = 1K
Base page size = 4K.
DB_block_size = 8K
This seemingly indicates an O.S. Block size of 1K though I have never before
heard of such a size... usually knew O.S. Block size to be 512 Bytes (1/2 KB).

MWF wrote -> Greg bases his opinions on measured facts, and if you have some
facts about your choice I would also like to hear them. That is not a slap, but
a genuine question.

My Reasons for preferring Mounted F.S. over ASM in a NON-RAc scenario are
mostly the same as given by Jared:-

* F.S. are a Comfort zone & I have historically & traditionally used them for a
while.
* Additional instance for ASM
* file management is simpler
* storage admins have easy direct access to see what's on disk.

Cheers

Vivek

notify the sender by e-mail and delete the original message. Further, you are
not
to copy, disclose, or distribute this e-mail or its contents to any other
person and
any such actions are unlawful. This e-mail may contain viruses. Infosys has
taken
every reasonable precaution to minimize this risk, but is not liable for any
damage
you may sustain as a result of any virus in this e-mail. You should carry out
your
right to monitor and review the content of all messages sent to or from this
e-mail
Infosys e-mail system.