RE: Filesystem Block Size ? 1K

  • From: "Michael McMullen" <ganstadba@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Oracle-L'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 07:46:13 -0400

I've hesitated going to ASM for the reasons Jared listed and also because my
SA's had such a hard time getting their heads around it. I'm using it on a
new server that we have hooked up to a Pillar Data storage system.
www.pillardata.com . Pillar lets you have a 1MB stripe size and as this
matches ASM I went with this (10.2.0.4). In my very preliminary testing I'm
getting the same performance in writes to the database as a straight up cp
from one file to another. Does this make sense? Ie. I can copy a file at
183MB/sec and I can also get sqlloader at the same rate. I've never had this
match up in any of my other systems. It was only after digging around that I
figured out Pillar had the 1MB solution. Before that we were just using a
regular filesystem. My speed there was 90MB/sec. To be fair, I haven't fully
tested the filesytemio_options as I think I need it at direct to compare
apples to apples.
There is a learning curve with ASM, for instance, my first db creation
failed so I had to go into ASM and delete the controlfiles. That was a
hassle and I have a lot more learning to do but it has been enjoyable to
play with something new.
Pillar also has a cool EM plugin that lets you see everything which makes it
a lot easier to view performance specs.

I have another question with ASM but I think I'll post it as a new thread.