File open wait

  • From: Luis Fernando Cerri <lcerri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 14:45:55 -0300

Hello, list!

OS: HPUX 11.11
Oracle 8.1.7.4 EE

I'm facing right now a "file open" wait for a specific session as follows:

This select is returning the same result for like one hour:

   select substr(event,1,35) event,TOTAL_WAITS
     from v$session_event
    where sid= 40;

EVENT                               TOTAL_WAITS
----------------------------------- -----------
log file sync                                 1
db file sequential read                      12
file open                                     2
SQL*Net message to client                    38
SQL*Net message from client                  38

Current active wait event:

SQL> select seq#,event,wait_time,seconds_in_wait,state
  2  from v$session_wait
  3  where sid=40
  4  /

 SEQ# EVENT         WAIT_TIME SECONDS_IN_WAIT STATE
----- ------------ ---------- --------------- -------------------
   91 file open            -2            4751 WAITED UNKNOWN TIME

No join information between v$session and dba_data_files:

SQL> select s.ROW_WAIT_FILE#,f.file_name
  2  from v$session s, dba_data_files f
  3  where s.ROW_WAIT_FILE# = f.file_id
  4  and s.sid=40
  5  /

no rows selected

SQL>  select s.ROW_WAIT_OBJ#,s.ROW_WAIT_FILE#
,s.ROW_WAIT_BLOCK#,s.ROW_WAIT_ROW#
  2  from v$session s
  3 where s.sid=40;

ROW_WAIT_OBJ# ROW_WAIT_FILE# ROW_WAIT_BLOCK# ROW_WAIT_ROW#
------------- -------------- --------------- -------------
           -1              0               0             0

Enabling 10046 trace through dbms_support didn't generated a trace file on
UDUMP destination. The ORADEBUG DUMP PROCESSSTATE didn't return usable
information (or I couldn't find it).

Any guesses on determining which file is the session waiting for? Do P1, P2
and/or P3 mean anything usable? Oracle states that this information can be
used only by development team.

Thanks in advance for your collaboration.

Best regards,
Luis