RE: Fat Pig Replication

  • From: "Michael Fontana" <mfontana@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 16:25:50 -0500

Sorry for the questions answered with still more questions, but....

What version of Oracle?

Have you considered prebuilding the snapshot via export/import and
offline instantiation?  This is possible if you pre-create the snapshot
log and then fast refresh to catch up after the build.  Look up "offline
instantiation" in metalink.

Do you really feel as though the 5.7g resource requirement is all that
unreasonable?  I have to think that the sorting for the index is causing
it.  We have several 2g datafiles for each of our TEMP and ROLLBACK
requirements in 8.1.7 databases, and they often autoextend > 20g.  We
then resize them as needed.

Finally, I must ask how and why you need 120+ database instances in this
day and age.  All of the overhead associated with each should be
considered a waste of some of these same resources we are discussing
here.  Things such as TEMP ROLLBACK and SYSTEM overhead redundancy
should be eliminated where possible before serious reductionary steps
are considered.  I do realize sometimes these things are not completely
within our control, but the time when such issues come up is great to
mention it!

Michael Fontana
Sr. DBA
NTT/Verio