Re: Fasten huge index rebuild - How To ?

  • From: Connor McDonald <mcdonald.connor@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 08:50:16 +0800

We got good results when we tweaked the memory within the text index
parameters to hundreds of megs (in our case it was about a 50G index).
 I remember a gotcha something along of the lines that if even if you
asked for (say) 500M of memory, then if this exceeded the "global" ctx
memory parameter  (set with ctx_adm), then it would be silently
adjusted down...

Plus of course cranking up sort_area_size / sort_area_retained_size
parameters, partitions in parallel etc etc

hth
connor

On 5/19/05, Prem Khanna J <premjhere@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi All ,
>=20
> One of my collegue has got a problem on index rebuilds.
>=20
> *************************************************************************=
**=3D
> **
> We have a table of 35 partitions with a CLOB column amount to about
> 350G of data.  Based on the timing for the domain index creation on
> the CLOB column in development database with smaller data volume using
> parallel degree of 8, I extrapolated (development database is on a
> much smaller box and I used linear extrapolation) that it will take
> ~53 hours to create the same index in production database, which is
> not feasible to do even in a weekend.  Are you aware of any "divide
> and conquer" or any methods we can explore to create the index in much
> less time so that it is feasible to accomplish in a weekend?  From
> your experiences on other applications, What do other
> people/application do if they have a huge index and it gets corrupt
> and needs to be rebuilt and the rebuild time normally takes days?
> Index online rebuild will not help us because the domain index needs
> to be finished completely so that our BREAK generation job can access
> the index by key word search.
>=20
> DB blocksize is 8k. Will use of larger tablespace or sections reduce
> rebuild time? What about future guards against index loss? Any other
> thoughts?
> *************************************************************************=
**=3D
> **
>=20
> Any idea and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks a lot!
>=20
> Regards,
> Prem J
> --
> //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l
>=20

--=20
Connor McDonald
=3D=3D
email: connor_mcdonald@xxxxxxxxx
web:   http://www.oracledba.co.uk

"Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat"